St Thomas CE (VC) Primary School
8.30am - 4.30pm
You can also use our contact form.
Our school works closely with the other schools around us to provide additional opportunities for our children. To find out about who we work with, and what we do click here...
It is very important for all young people to eat a healthy, balanced diet and Kirklees Catering Service takes this responsibility very seriously. Here are some facts about our service and the meals we offer in school:
• Every menu is tailored to the school after consulting with our customers (you, your children and their teachers)
• We cater for Vegetarian, Halal and special diets in partnership with each school.
• We hold themed events, linked to what’s happening in and out of school, which make lunchtime educational and fun.
• Primary schools have regular visits from our mascot, Munch the friendly dragon, who promotes healthy foods and educates children about healthy eating and lifestyles.
• Schools serve a nutritious and tasty two course meal, prepared daily on site, at a set price of £2.20 per day.
• Our service holds the Food for Life bronze catering mark (working towards the silver) which means menus include a minimum of 75% fresh food, free range eggs, high welfare meat and sustainable fish.
• Research has shown that children concentrate much better if they have eaten a healthy, balanced meal at lunchtime, which can support your child’s learning in school.
• All menus are nutritionally analysed to ensure they meet, and often exceed, Government standards.
• Depending on your circumstances your child may be eligible for free school meals.
There are now two types of Free School Meals:-
Statutory Free School Meals
If you are on a low income or in receipt of certain benefits your child may be eligible for Statutory Free School Meals, children who qualify are also entitled to Free School Milk. To apply or for more information click here to go to Kirklees Council's Free School Meals information page.
Universal Free School Meals
Since September 2014, all children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 who are not entitled to Statutory Free School Meals are automatically entitled to Universal Free School Meals however this does not include free milk.